Thursday, February 25, 2016

Bend it Like Beckham

It was my first to watch a movie as a marketer. There are a lot of subcultures in the movie, such as: soccer team, Anglo-Indias, high schools, and English. I think Anglo-India is the most representative aspects for me to analyze consumer behavior, because Anglo-India has both British and Indian cultural background to make any decision. The female leader Jess is an Anglo-India. Even she was born and grew in Britain, her family could not stand she wears shorts and plays soccer with boys in pubic place. The western culture gives everyone opportunity to choose her own opportunity, but Jess's family believed Jess should study, learn cooking, after that she should marry with an Indian guy, like her sister. British likes soccer, but Jess's family thought Jess would become a housewife not a dirty soccer player. I can understand how hard that Jess want to do a decision.

As a marketer, Bend it Like Beckham is a good movie for me to understand the cultural impact on consumer behavior. I understood why Jess's family did not want her to play soccer. I could not change her family's ideas about Jess's future, but I might can connect the soccer with Indian culture. For example, Jess's family wanted Jess should study, learn cooking, after that she should marry with an Indian guy. I would advertise soccer through sponsoring books in school, cooking materials in club. Because of that, Jess could have some help with studying and cooking, on the other hand, she could play soccer. I am sure if she can do both with, her family won't avoid again.

In our real life, cultural differences appears in every industry. Understand the culture background in consumer is the basic requirement of doing international business. Toyota has different models to sell in different region, like, American likes outdoor activities, Toyota made trucks and SUV; the roads in Europe are narrow, Toyota sells smart cars; Japanese family always consider the energy and safety, Toyota also  has models match up with.
I am a Chinese and I has been studying in America about 4 years. The biggest advantage of me is understanding cultural diversity. I am professional at Chinese cultural and I know Chinese consumer behavior, also I understand American lifestyle or consumer' needs. When I do an international business between America and China, I can analyze the differences in culture well and make the marketing plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment