Thursday, March 24, 2016

The Edification of Google Glass

The headline,"Even the guy who designed the iPod may not be able to save Google Glass." attract my attention to read the article, because both Google and Apple did successful marketing strategies. The article connect well with consumer behavior, I have interests to read as a marketer. On the other hand, this is a hot and popular topic for readers.

The main reason why Google glass cannot be success as iPod is Google glass doesn't have a clear advantage. Compare with iPod or any other Apple's products, Google glass has not changed the world. On the other hand, it is no doubt Apple has changed the world, e.g. Macintosh defining the computer for the rest of us, there is no operating system does better than OS X, and iPod reinvented the music world. However, although Google glass briefly healed as the wearable heir to the smartphone, consumers do not accept to wear phones on their face. The main advantage does not match the consumers' behavior about phone, that is why Google glass failed in the market.

Now, Google paid more than $3 billion for Nest in order to hire Tony Fadell, the smart-home startup inventor. They want to reset the unsuccessful efforts of Google Glass and redefine it. In my opinion, I think the most efficient way is changing consumers' attitude about the function of glass. For example, my first response about glass is studying or reading. I do not like wear glasses because it is not convenient when I workout. I had bad experience of wear glasses. I think some of consumers have same reason as me. Apple can be success because it change the world. If Google Glass wants be success, the first step is changing consumers behaviors, especially their desire to wear glasses. How to establish the positive attitude about glasses, like, convenient to wear, protect eyes, the fashion trends. Now, I realized why the author said, "Even the guy who designed the iPod may not be able to save Google Glass." Spending on advertising is not a hard project, but changing consumer behavior is a huge challenge. And Google has a competitor, Apple, the most successful company in smartphone.

Anyway, I like Google Glass because it is a new technology and it can change a new world of smartphone, but how to change consumers' attitude about glasses is the key point of success. I learnt a lot from this example and when I start my business, the consumer behavior is one of the most important parts that I need to analyze when making any business decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment